The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Awards More Than $1 Million in Grants to 33 Local Cancer Organizations
MIAMI, May 28, 2012 - The Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, today announced that it raised $2.6 million during the 2011 fiscal year ending in March 2012 to support the fight against breast cancer. This year $1.1 million of the monies raised will fund 33 grants to a diverse range of South Florida non-profit health care organizations, public health agencies and community groups dedicated to furthering the Komen mission to eliminate breast cancer.
The grantees include:
• Memorial Foundation for Memorial Regional Hospital - $150,000
• University of Miami - Breast cancer navigator/coordinator at Jackson Memorial Hospital - $50,000
• La Liga Contra el Cancer, Inc. $45,000
• WomanKind, Inc. Florida Keys $31,000
Last year grant dollars helped 129,622 medically underserved individuals receive breast cancer screenings, treatment and access to survivorship and awareness programs. The funds also provided 5,180 mammograms and helped detect 170 breast cancer cases in the tri-county area.
In accordance with Komen’s guidelines, 75 percent of the net dollars raised through local events, including the annual Race for the Cure®, will stay in the community. The remaining 25 percent will be pooled with Komen’s national efforts to fund research programs.
“Our community partners are essential in helping Komen achieve its mission and we are grateful for their support and dedication as we strive to end breast cancer,” said Bobbi Meyers, executive director of the foundation’s Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate.
About the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Affiliate of the Susan G. Komen For the Cure®
Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is dedicated to saving lives and ending breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Since its inception in 1996, the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race For the Cure® and the Affiliate has raised more than $12 million and has reached hundreds of thousands of women and men through educational outreach. The 2012 Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Race For the Cure® will be held on Saturday, Oct. 20, at Bayfront Park in Miami. For additional information or to volunteer, call (305) 383-7116 or visit www.komenmiaftl.org